Well I’m about 35 weeks now. I made the rounds with all the doctors yesterday to find that I have another (that makes 13) UTI infection and I’m still only dilated to a 1. Yesterday really wasn’t a good day.
I knew I had another infection by the way I was feeling. It’s the usual trend. I get towards the end of a round of antibiotics and I feel pretty decent. I feel like I could handle this a little bit longer. I’ll have energy to do the normal, required things around the house like laundry, dishes, taking care of the kiddos and still have a bit left to do something crafty. But then after a couple of days, I relaspe. I feel feverish, have burning when I pee, my back hurts in the kidney region, and I’m lethargic. Lately, I’ve felt nauseous too. Throw all that on top of the normal “pregnancy sucks and I’m sick of this crap” symptoms and you might get and idea of how I feel. Seeing as this is the 13th infection I’ve had in 35 weeks, I’m getting pretty good at recognizing the symptoms. Needless to say, I wasn’t suprised.
I was disappointed that I hadn’t progressed at all. I know it’s still early but try to put yourself in my shoes. I’m exhausted and I’m tired of feeling like this and I just want some relief. I’ve been having contractions for a while now and some are getting to bring tears to my eyes. I just want it to be over.
I told TJ yesterday that it’s still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that a baby is coming from all of this. I can’t seem to grasp it. I feel all the movements and kicks and I know there’s a baby in my belly. But at the same time, it’s all a little surreal.
I think I’ve just been so distracted by the health issues that I haven’t been able to “enjoy” this experience if that’s even possible. None the less, my heart knows there’s a life in all of this even if my mind can’t comprehend it. And I think that’s what helps keep me going each day. Relying on my heart and not the things I know.
Well, I went to the OBGYN on Thursday last week and I am dilated to 1. Whoo Hoo!!!
Maybe all this pregnancy madness will end soon. I sure hope so. This is what happened with my other two kiddos. I started to dilate at 34 weeks and then they were born at 36 weeks. Hopefully, the third child will follow suit. I’ve been having some yucky contractions, some where I can’t talk, but nothing regular or consistent yet. We’ll see…
The energy burst that I had pretty much went out the window. I finished up yet another round of antibiotics and was feeling pretty great for a couple of days only to return to feeling yucky and having no energy. I see my urologist this week (Thursday) and I’m pretty sure the infection is back. They’re pretty confident at this point that I do, in fact, have a kidney stone stuck and it will have to be taken care of after the baby is born. I’m not sure exactly how soon after the baby is born, I’m going to ask at my appointment. Either way, I’m anxious to just feel “normal” again.
I’m also a little anxious about having 3 (THREE!) little ones. It’s always a little scary when you add another member to your family. My mind is constantly racing with different scenarios and what our life will look like being a family of 5. I know that it’ll all be okay. I just hope that I can divide myself into enough parts that everyone can feel just how much I love them – TJ, Lakyn, Holden, and our new addition – and still manage to maintain a part of myself. It might take a little practice but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.
Though I still am feeling yucky, I can’t explain this need I have to GET THINGS DONE. I can’t really describe it. It’s not so much that I have more energy, it’s just more drive I guess. I’ve washed all of the baby clothes and the various covers for chairs, bassinet and car seat. I’ve gotten completely caught up on laundry for the rest of the family. Yesterday I actually cleaned and organized the bathroom! Say what???
In the midst of my craziness, I’ve actually been able to do some crafty things. I love to make stuff and be creative. I am often either just too lazy or can’t find the time to make it happen. But I stumbled upon a website - www.homemadebyjill.blogspot.com - and I fell in LOVE! She makes some of the neatest stuff and even had a tutorial on homemade burp cloths. So I thought I’d try to make some and then I was hooked. I made 16 burp cloths for our baby boy and they turned out awesome! They’re extremely soft and very absorbent. So I made 8 more for my friend who just had a beautiful baby girl!
Then, I found another tutorial on her website for a “car caddy” and I thought it was such an awesome idea. Especially because Holden loves cars so much and we often have to take several with us anywhere we go. I had no other choice but to make one for him. Again, it turned out amazing.
So I re-vamped the idea a little and made a “color caddy” for Lakyn to carry when we go someplace. I think hers turned out great as well and they both love them! They carry them around everywhere.
Lastly, I found a link with an incredible idea for a button flower bouquet. It was pretty easy and only took a couple hours to create from start to finish. It’s nice to have some color that I don’t have to water.
I posted some pics so you could see the finished project but if you’re interested in making any of these things, the links are probably your best bet. They give really great step by step instructions.
Needless to say, I’ve been like the energizer bunny. I can’t explain it except to say that maybe (please!!!) I’m nesting and labor is coming soon. I sure hope so…
I love my husband dearly and he does so much for me but one of the those little things that annoy the fire out of me is his use of passwords. Rather than having a consistent “uncrackable” password, he is always changing it. Which wouldn’t be a problem except he can never remember what password he’s used and is always having to request a password change and well, you get the idea.
So my darling and talented husband did a site re-design for me but in the process changed the password and then proceeded to forget it. Yes, I know it’s not really a big deal but due to his busy schedule, I just got my password reset and am able to post again.
Now, I can’t blame ALL my delinquency on my husband. This pregnancy has had a LITTLE to do with my inability to post. So for the sake of time and to relieve you of reading a novel of a post, I’m going to bullet point the main events that have happened since my last post.
- My sweet little bubby boy turned 3! I can’t hardly believe it. I have every intention of writing him a letter to post but as you’ll see I had other events that kept me from doing so. The guilt is crummy.
- If you’ve read my previous posts, you know that I’ve had a bit of trouble with infections with this pregnancy. Well I started having intense pain that lasted for over a week. My urologist did a repeat renal sonogram and found that I had hydronephrosis of both kidneys (which basically means my kidney’s were swollen and not draining properly) and my left kidney (the side I was having all the pain) had debris.
- I had emergency surgery to have a stent placed from my left kidney to my bladder on Feb 12 to help my kidney drain. It was pretty scary. They put me completely under and when I woke up I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes and they were concerned they were going to have to transfer me to labor and delivery. I was only 26 weeks pregnant at the time. But the contractions calmed down and I was able to go home, only to return a couple days later to be re-admited to the hospital for a couple of days of IV antibiotics to combat a nasty infection.
- My sweet mother-in-law came to stay for a week while all this happened and I honestly don’t know what I’d do without her. She was a godsend. Not only did she help to watch the kids, but she completely cleaned my house and did all my laundry. And trust me, that was not easy. The appreciation I have for TJ’s family reached a whole new level through this process.
- I’ve had yet another infection since my stent was placed. This brings the total count to 11!
- I have been a Craigslist fool! I have gotten so many amazing deals for our baby off craigslist and I feel very thrifty. I got a stroller/carseat combo for $40. I got a bassinet for $10. I got 23 Avent bottles, bottle warmer, and bottler sterilizer for $50. Heck Yes!!!
- TJ found a drop-in daycare in our neighborhood called KidSpace. I’ve used it for the kids a few times and it is AWESOME! Not only are they open late (12:30 on the weekends) so that TJ and I can go on a date for once, but it comes in handy with all these doctors appointments I’ve been having to go to, or if I just need a break.
- I took Lakyn to register for kindergarten. She is more than thrilled and excited about starting school. I, on the other hand, have mixed feelings. I’m excited for her to learn, make new friends, and flourish as I know she will. But it’s a little scary throwing your child into “the real world” where she’s no longer shielded by my filter.
Well, I think that about wraps it up for now although I’m sure I left something out.
I fell off the blogging bandwagon for a minute but I am now back. Honestly, I’ve had a lot on my mind.
* Disclaimer: This post will talk about my pee. If that weirds you out, sorry.
When I went to the OBGYN last Monday to find out that we’re having a bouncing baby boy, I also had an appointment with my physician. Which was very much needed because I’ve been having some issues. I’ve mentioned on here before that I’ve had some UTI issues. Like I’ve had 6 (SIX!!) of them since I’ve been pregnant. So I’d finished up yet another round of antibiotics and was taking my daily preventative but I was having some symptoms. My urine was super dark and cloudy. Like apple cider. And there was a little blood in it. It was a tad alarming.
So at the OB’s office I pee in the cup and when the doc comes in the room he says “Your urine is pretty yucky.”. Really? I hadn’t noticed! So he tells me that he’s referring me to an Urologist because he can’t figure out why I’m having all these issues and that sounds great to me because frankly, I’m tired of it. So I set up an appt with the specialist.
Here’s were I’m going to go off on a little tangent. I knew that I would have to take both kids with me alone to the Urologist because TJ was not going to be able to get off work and we are “new” to the neighborhood thus we have NO babysitters. Seriously, I need a Mother’s Day Out. Like yesterday.
Anyway, I woke up in a delightful mood the morning of the appointment. I talked to the kids and explained that mommy had a doctor’s appointment today and they were coming with me and they would need to be on their best behavior. I packed a bag and let them each pick out some toys to bring to the office to keep them occupied. I bribed them and told them if they did well they could have a sucker and I put some in my purse. I had high hopes.
They were TERRIBLE! I was so embarassed. Maybe it’s because I made such a big deal about the appointment instead of just doing it. I don’t know. They yelled and screamed. They threw toys and stepped on them. It was awful. I had to apologize to the doctor several times though he was such a good sport. Let’s just say that didn’t make for a great day at the Taylor house. Does anyone have any ideas on how this could’ve been avoided? I tried to be prepared and let them know it was important, brought toys to keep them occupied, and they were jerks.
So back to the pee. The Urologist tells me that he’s concerned about a couple of things.
1. Preterm Labor – He tells me recurrent infection in pregnant women often leads to preterm labor. I told him that I already had a history of preterm labor with my other children and as a result, my OBGYN put me on Progesterone injections once a week to try to put that off. So that’s good. But he’s still concerned. He wanted me to finish this sixth round of antibiotics and do the preventative again only this time, twice a day. And he’d like to monitor me during the duration of my pregnancy and thereafter.
2. Kidney Stones – Apparently, it’s common for pregnant women to get kidney stones. I had gallstones when I was pregnant with Lakyn but they’re unrelated. He tells me he’s concerned that I have a kidney stone that’s become lodged somewhere and it’s backing up my kidney thus the dark urine and blood clots. This is pretty serious. If this is the case and it’s left untreated, I could lose a kidney. YIKES! He explained that when this happens, it’ll present as an infection but no antibiotics will fix it. The infection will keep re-occuring.
He told me that because I’m pregnant, he’d like to start with a Renal Ultrasound to see if one of my kidneys is inflamed or swollen. I told him I’d had some discomfort in my kidneys but only on the left side. If that’s what the ultrasound revealed, then we’d have to look at more invasive procedures but we’d wait on the results of the test.
So I went this morning and had the ultrasound done. The tech that did it was stone cold and didn’t imply anything. I kept trying to read her face but she was a statue. I go back to the Urologist on Thursday for the test results. I feel like it’s all in my head and I’m paranoid and there’s nothing wrong with me. In fact, I’ve been obsessing a little about how this is going to come back normal and we’re going to have spent all this $$$ for no reason. But I guess in the end it’s better that way, right? I certainly want to be healthy. I don’t want to appear to be freaking out over something that’s nothing.
So Thursday’s the day. Until then, I wait and torture myself.
I went back and forth on whether or not I wanted to know what we were having this go around. TJ knew he wanted to find out. I think I always knew I did too. People say “There are too few surprises left in the world. It’s best to wait” but it’s still just as much a surprise today. Plus, I like to plan so we went to the doctor today to find out what we were going to have. Oh and make sure the baby was healthy and had 10 fingers and toes, no cleft lip, four-chambered heart, etc. (The baby is totally healthy!)
The kids came with us and they were so excited. They looked up at the big TV and watched their little sibling squirm. It was really cute to watch them. All this time, I’ve had it in my mind that it’s a girl. I’ve envisioned little dresses and bows. But then at the office when I saw the baby on the screen, I immediately referred to the baby as a boy. And the tech asked me if I thought it was a boy because I kept saying “Oh look at his little feet” and “Look at his cute chubby cheeks”.
And then before I knew it, there it was. His little manhood staring me in the face. The tech said “Oh there’s no doubt about it. He’s ALL boy. I’m 100% sure”. My heart melted. Just to know that a sweet little boy would be joining our family gave me such joy.
So there you have it folks. The girls in the Taylor house are going to be outnumbered and we couldn’t be happier. Lakyn is trilled to be the only “princess” and Holden is excited to have a brother. TJ, of course, is over the moon.