Oops…I’m back

I fell off the blogging bandwagon for a minute but I am now back. Honestly, I’ve had a lot on my mind.

* Disclaimer: This post will talk about my pee. If that weirds you out, sorry.

When I went to the OBGYN last Monday to find out that we’re having a bouncing baby boy, I also had an appointment with my physician. Which was very much needed because I’ve been having some issues. I’ve mentioned on here before that I’ve had some UTI issues. Like I’ve had 6 (SIX!!) of them since I’ve been pregnant. So I’d finished up yet another round of antibiotics and was taking my daily preventative but I was having some symptoms. My urine was super dark and cloudy. Like apple cider.  And there was a little blood in it. It was a tad alarming.

So at the OB’s office I pee in the cup and when the doc comes in the room he says “Your urine is pretty yucky.”. Really? I hadn’t noticed! So he tells me that he’s referring me to an Urologist because he can’t figure out why I’m having all these issues and that sounds great to me because frankly, I’m tired of it. So I set up an appt with the specialist.

Here’s were I’m going to go off on a little tangent. I knew that I would have to take both kids with me alone to the Urologist because TJ was not going to be able to get off work and we are “new” to the neighborhood thus we have NO babysitters. Seriously, I need a Mother’s Day Out. Like yesterday.

Anyway, I woke up in a delightful mood the morning of the appointment. I talked to the kids and explained that mommy had a doctor’s appointment today and they were coming with me and they would need to be on their best behavior. I packed a bag and let them each pick out some toys to bring to the office to keep them occupied. I bribed them and told them if they did well they could have a sucker and I put some in my purse. I had high hopes.

They were TERRIBLE! I was so embarassed. Maybe it’s because I made such a big deal about the appointment instead of just doing it. I don’t know. They yelled and screamed. They threw toys and stepped on them. It was awful. I had to apologize to the doctor several times though he was such a good sport. Let’s just say that didn’t make for a great day at the Taylor house. Does anyone have any ideas on how this could’ve been avoided? I tried to be prepared and let them know it was important, brought toys to keep them occupied, and they were jerks.

So back to the pee. The Urologist tells me that he’s concerned about a couple of things.

1. Preterm Labor – He tells me recurrent infection in pregnant women often leads to preterm labor. I told him that I already had a history of preterm labor with my other children and as a result, my OBGYN put me on Progesterone injections once a week to try to put that off. So that’s good. But he’s still concerned. He wanted me to finish this sixth round of antibiotics and do the preventative again only this time, twice a day. And he’d like to monitor me during the duration of my pregnancy and thereafter.

2. Kidney Stones – Apparently, it’s common for pregnant women to get kidney stones. I had gallstones when I was pregnant with Lakyn but they’re unrelated. He tells me he’s concerned that I have a kidney stone that’s become lodged somewhere and it’s backing up my kidney thus the dark urine and blood clots. This is pretty serious. If this is the case and it’s left untreated, I could lose a kidney. YIKES! He explained that when this happens, it’ll present as an infection but no antibiotics will fix it. The infection will keep re-occuring.

He told me that because I’m pregnant, he’d like to start with a Renal Ultrasound to see if one of my kidneys is inflamed or swollen. I told him I’d had some discomfort in my kidneys but only on the left side.  If that’s what the ultrasound revealed, then we’d have to look at more invasive procedures but we’d wait on the results of the test.

So I went this morning and had the ultrasound done. The tech that did it was stone cold and didn’t imply anything. I kept trying to read her face but she was a statue. I go back to the Urologist on Thursday for the test results. I feel like it’s all in my head and I’m paranoid and there’s nothing wrong with me. In fact, I’ve been obsessing a little about how this is going to come back normal and we’re going to have spent all this $$$ for no reason. But I guess in the end it’s better that way, right? I certainly want to be healthy. I don’t want to appear to be freaking out over something that’s nothing.

So Thursday’s the day. Until then, I wait and torture myself.

Monday, January 11th, 2010 0 Comments | Filed in Kids, Pregnancy, Rants

Leave a Comment